Sunday, July 18, 2010

budget busters

How much money do you spend on stuff you don't need? I know I spend a lot. I looked at my top 3 monthly money busters and they were my mortgage 1100, cable (internet, cable and phone) 160, and my cell phone 110. There is nothing that I pay more for, consistently, month after month. Where are the savings and can I live with them?

Mortgage: I can't refinance because I don't have enough equity in my home so 1100 a month it is.
Cable: This is a bundle that includes cable, internet, and phone, and it costs a bundle 160 a month. I called them and tried to lower the cost and they gave me some really cheap basic numbers on the cable side, until I realized I only watch informational programming which is an added cost. The internet is a flat fee. If I get rid of the phone it's no longer a bundle and I buy ala carte which means I'm only saving about 15 bucks. I like my home phone, I give the number out to people I don't want to have my cell phone number.
Cell phone: 110 a month. Wow!!! I can't live without my phone so I called to try and get the basics. All I really want it for it to text and use the internet on it. I told the customer service rep I wanted to drop my minutes to 200 because I don't really use it, and I wanted unlimited texting (a cheap $10 a month) but I can't go down to 200 minutes because I NEED an unlimited texting and data plan which requires 700 minutes, which I have.

So in the end, my 3 biggest money busters were going to have to stay that way unless I really wanted to disconnect from everything...No way. I'm not at that point yet.
But are you? Or do you have an alternative for me? What do people do when they try to save money on their cell and cable bundles? I could use some advice.

No comments: